Align Your Self

Celebrating 12 years of yoga teacher training!

4701 Auvergne Avenue | Suite 104 |  Lisle, IL 60532
(630) 968-3216     prairieyoga@comcast.net

1 Comments

What kind of yoga is best for me?

Image: The 18th century watercolor “Rama Enters the Forest of Sages”… (Asian Art Museum )

I have been practicing yoga long enough to see many styles of yoga come and go in popularity. In the late 1990's many of us were immersed in astanga vinyasa yoga and power yoga, a variation that Bryan Kest developed after practicing Patabhi Jois's astanga yoga for many years. There were many spin-offs and teachers who branched out from there and that overall branch of the yoga tree is often referred to as vinyasa flow yoga. Moving with the breath drew my mind inward while transitioning from pose to pose. I loved it! But then one day in a vinyasa workshop, I became completely bored. I lost interest, probably because I had recently discovered Iyengar Yoga with its emphasis on alignment. Learning how to support my body with props really opened it up and I was fascinated with the most minute details of where to place my attention in asana. It taught me to spread my consciousness throughout every cell of the body. Alignment based yoga held my attention for almost 15 years and exposed me to adapting the practice to make it accessible to all. Throughout that time, I also studied how to practice yoga restoratively and therapeutically to help heal issues within my own body and adapt for my students.

The last few years, after witnessing myself and many long-time yoga students experiencing issues due to hypermobility and repetitive yoga movements, I developed a strong interest in biomechanics, natural movement and incorporating more of a strength focus into my practice. At 55 years old, I feel better than ever.

Does this mean that my former yoga practices were not "good for me"? No, they brought me to where I am now. Here is a short list of what I learned by practicing different kinds of yoga:

Benefits of vinyasa flow yoga

• Calms the mind by focusing on the breath
  • Links breath to movement
  • Engages muscular activity and improves cardiovascular fitness
  • Increases flexibility, balance and strength
  • Explores the joy of movement as well as holding a position

Benefits of alignment-based yoga

• Spreads your attention throughout every cell of the body
  • Penetrates dull areas of the body and sharpens the mind
  • Utilizes props to teach, support and adapt
  • Aligns the body and improves posture
  • Explores the joy of stillness within a shape

Benefits of restorative and therapeutic yoga

• Focuses on the individual
  • Adapts the practice of yoga to all shapes, sizes, ages and health issues
  • Teaches deep relaxation
  • Promotes healing

Benefits of non-traditional yoga movement modalities

• Allows one to question yoga habits
  • Adds new ways of mindful moving to create balance in your practice, such as, strengthening techniques or somatic explorations
  • Keeps the mind and practice fresh for experienced students

This leads me to the "this yoga is better than that yoga" criticisms. Lately, I see a number of yoga teachers bashing on alignment based yoga in social media and blog posts. In the past, teachers were dissing the flow and glow of vinyasa yoga. There has always been some condescension toward Bikram and hot yoga. Even yoga therapy is getting flack!

Yet, if you study the history of yoga asana you will find that the forms of yoga have always changed and evolved with the needs and interests of the people practicing it. In mid-nineteenth century, yoga students were hanging from trees in a pose called "bat penance" and climbing ropes upside down while in lotus in a pose called "spider."*

*Roots of Yoga by Mark Singleton and The Hatha Yoga Project by Dr Jason Birch, Dr Mark Singleton, and Dr Jim Mallinson

The Swirl

For the last few years, I have been in what one of my MovNat teachers, Kellen Milad, calls "the swirl." The swirl is when you have a lot of knowledge but it isn't lining up and you are trying to figure things out. Sometimes it freaks you out but Kellen encouraged me to embrace it. And my long time yoga teacher, Tias Little, taught me to not grasp for answers. You have to be patient and let confusion settle so you can see your new path clearly. And now it has.

I feel liberated that now I feel free to incorporate elements from other movement modalities and evolve my yoga practice to suit my needs, which for me is more stability. I am not criticizing lineage - I learned a lot but all organized systems have limitations and you have to recognize when a method is no longer serving you. I admire those who have found a yoga style or teacher that has stood the test of time for their own personal needs. If this is you, then I encourage you to stay on course!

My yoga journey has been full of wonderful yoga teachers and movement experts. Standing on their shoulders, I am starting to see beyond my past experience and incorporate new beneficial movements into my yoga asana practice, and guess what? It can still be yoga even if you can't find the movement or shape in "traditional' yoga references. After all, it is not the shape of the yoga asana that makes it yoga, it is how you are practicing the shape that makes it yoga.

Throughout yoga's history, these three things have made something "yoga"

1. Attention to the breath (connection)
  2. Focus the mind on one thing at a time (mindfulness)
  3. Observe the inner sensations arising (awareness)

If you are practicing with connection, mindfulness and awareness, then it is yoga. The same holds true for your daily life - are you connected, mindful and aware? If so, you are living your yoga.

If you are a newer yoga student, stick with one method for a while until you gain a depth of experience. As the saying goes, you will learn more by digging a deep well, rather than a bunch of shallow ones. If you are a seasoned practitioner who has been practicing yoga for many years and have either hit a plateau or are experiencing a decline in some way, don't be afraid to let go of the "rules" and experiment and play. This is how the tradition of yoga evolves, one student at a time.

Comments

1 Comments
Security Check
Please enter the text below
CaptchaImage
Can't read text above? Try another text.
Friday, January 18, 2019 1:25 pm
This is a splendid website! I"m extremely content with the remarks!. How I Work
Billy
Wednesday, January 16, 201911:02 pm
Billy
I'm impressed, I must say. Very rarely do I come across a blog that's both informative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you've hit the nail on the head. Your blog is important; the issue is something that not enough people are talking intelligently about. mcafee.com/activate |office.com/setup | office.com/setup | office.com/setup |billy mark | office.com/setup
Robert Williams
Sunday, January 13, 201910:55 pm
Robert Williams
Nice one! thank you so much! Thank you for sharing this post. Your blog posts are more interesting and impressive. norton.com/nu16 | office.com/setup | norton.com/setup | mcafee.com/activate |office.com/setup |mcafee.com/activate
Saturday, January 12, 2019 1:50 pm
lifetime
Well, this got me thinking what other workouts are good for those of us who find ourselves on the road or have limited equipment options. Never Have I Ever
Saturday, January 12, 2019 2:37 am
lifetime
Thank you so much for ding the impressive job here, everyone will surely like your post. Truth or Dare
Saturday, January 12, 2019 1:44 am
lifetime
I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. Would You Rather
Stephen strange
Wednesday, January 9, 2019 6:52 am
Stephen strange
norton.com/setup - You might have been looking for a proper guide that helps you in downloading, installing and activating the Norton Product key. Visit www.norton.com/setup and proceed for the Norton installation setup. Get Norton help at Norton Customer support toll free number.
karenminton
Wednesday, January 9, 2019 4:45 am
karenminton
Nice knowledge gaining article. This post is really the best on this valuable topic. mcafee.com/activate|mcafee.com/activate|office.com/setup
Aida01
Tuesday, January 8, 2019 5:05 am
Aida01
we are providing you step by step procedure for downloading, installing and activating any McAfee antivirus security software by using a 25 character alpha-numeric activation key code. mcafee.com/activate | mcafee.com/activate
Aida01
Tuesday, January 8, 2019 5:04 am
Aida01
Great post i must say and thanks for the information.I appreciate your post and look forward to more. norton.com/setup | norton.com/setup
Zayn
Monday, January 7, 2019 3:38 pm
Zayn
At Sydney Local Cleaners, we are committed to providing the best professional cleaning services in Sydney with best local cleaners near you. Our company have a professional cleaners and are equipped with some of the latest equipment available using only organic cleaning materials for the best possible cleaning results. Cleaning Services Sydney | Cleaning Services Sydney | | New first class services | | New first class services
Zayn
Monday, January 7, 2019 3:37 pm
Zayn
A Dream catcher is something that filters all negative vibes and creates positivity around the place. Each of it created individually with specific love, care and positive thoughts. It takes 5-7 days to make. This can be used as key chains to wall decors, everywhere one wants to have positive vibes. best nursing Institute in Haryana | Dream Catcher | Dream Catcher Online | best nursing Academy in Haryana
john martin
Monday, January 7, 201912:49 pm
john martin
norton.com/setup is one of the best Security Antivirus product can completely Call qui protect your digital life online. You can securely surf the Internet with the To activate your with product key you can visit norton.com/setup. office.com/setup is a product ofoffice setup. Get Support if you face problem to activate www.office.com/setup or install Microsoft Office product. Install with Product Key.
Monday, January 7, 201910:06 am
lifetime
A debt of gratitude is in order for the blog entry amigo! Keep them coming... His Secret Obsession
Carl Smith
Monday, January 7, 2019 6:32 am
Carl Smith
Get Step-by-Step guide for Norton.com/setup – Activate, Download & complete installation from norton.com/setup and get the best security setup for any of your preferred devices just by visiting norton.com/setup & mcafee.com/activate . Also try our step by step guide for office.com/setup .
www.norton.com/setup
Saturday, January 5, 2019 4:55 am
www.norton.com/setup
This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. www.norton.com/setup
Friday, January 4, 2019 1:07 am
lifetime
Welcome to the party of my life here you will learn everything about me. Red Tea Detox
Monday, December 31, 201811:48 am
lifetime
Hi to everybody, here everyone is sharing such knowledge, so it’s fastidious to see this site, and I used to visit this blog daily knock knock Jokes
Monday, December 31, 2018 1:46 am
lifetime
Very awesome!!! When I seek for this I found this website at the top of all blogs in search engine. Language of Desire
Tuesday, December 25, 2018 5:19 am
lifetime
Great survey. I'm sure you're getting a great response. Church on a hill in mcminnville oregon
Monday, December 24, 2018 2:55 pm
lifetime
I have recently started a blog, the info you provide on this site has helped me greatly. Thanks for all of your time & work the epoxy resin store
technicalsupport
Monday, December 17, 2018 1:33 am
technicalsupport
Bitdefender Central | Bitdefender Login | Bitdefender Central Support :- If you have any issues while downloading,installing Bitdefender Central Antivirus. If you can not find the license key, you can call on Bitdefender Support Centert Phone Number. You will get instant help from our technicians Supporting team online.
technicalsupport
Monday, December 17, 2018 1:29 am
technicalsupport
Mcafee.Com/Maa/Retailcard | Mcafee Activate Now | Www.Mcafee.Com/Activate :- Get Started with your McAfee Setup by visiting Www.Mcafee.com/Activate and Enter 25-digit Activation Code to Setup Mcafee. Www.Mcafee.Com/RetailCard
technicalsupport
Monday, December 17, 2018 1:19 am
technicalsupport
Mcafee Retail Card | Mcafee.Com/Retail card | Www.Mcafee.Com/Activate :- Secure Your Laptop, PC from Virus Attack by Mcafee Antivirus. Dial Mcafee Internet Security Customer Service Phone Number for Windows. Our technician will help you in setting up, installing Mcafee Antivirus in your PC, Laptop as well. Mcafee.Com/Mav/Retailcard
technicalsupport
Monday, December 17, 2018 1:06 am
technicalsupport
Support Www.WebRoot.Com/Safe, Webroot.Com/Safe Activation :- Get instant and affordable antivirus support service at Webroot Technical Support. Our expertise team are always there to help you. WebRoot Com Safe