The 200 hour Foundation Yoga Teacher Training will deepen your own personal practice and prepare you to intelligently teach beginning and intermediate yoga classes from your own heart-felt path. We believe that establishing a firm foundation in your own yoga practice is key to becoming an inspiring yoga teacher. You will learn how to use the tools and techniques from all eight limbs of yoga. Our philosophy is non-dogmatic. We offer a contemporary approach deeply rooted in the ancient wisdom of classical yoga. By immersing yourself in the study of yoga, you move toward becoming a balanced, whole individual deeply connected with yourself, others and the world that we live in.
The Eight Limbs of Yoga
Yama (social ethics to live in harmony with others)
Niyama (personal ethics to live a balanced life)
Asana (postures to build strength and flexibility so energy can flow freely)
Pranayama (breath control to cleanse and strengthen the nervous system and increase your vital energy)
Pratyahara (internalizing the senses to reduce external stimulation)
Dharana (developing concentration and focus)
Dhyana (sustaining one’s focus to enter into meditation)
Learn How To
- Include all eight limbs of yoga in your practice and teaching
- Understand the energetic effects of asana, pranayama, bandha, meditation and the basic principles of Ayurveda
- Rid ourselves of habitual patterns, create a healthy balanced state and restore energy
- Train the mind to become still and develop self-awareness
- Sequence to emphasize different energetic effects, themes and intentions
- Apply key alignment principles
- Integrate the intelligent use of vinyasa (breath-synchronized movement)
- Understand anatomy of the physical and subtle bodies
- Balance the opposing forces of grounding/lightness; stability/ease; and strength/flexibility
- Introduce sound based yoga practices such as chanting and simple mantras
- Refine your teaching language to be very clear and specific
- Demonstrate visually to emphasize key actions
- Adjust students manually to reinforce alignment principles in a safe and appropriate way
- Modify for common student issues
- Organize a yoga class to create a supportive environment for transformation
- Market yourself as a yoga teacher; understand common yoga financial agreements and insurance; and build healthy business relationships
- Gain insight into the ethics of teaching yoga
The Training Program involves our regular training sessions; elective workshops with master teachers; homework; anatomy training; self-study for final research topic; observing and assisting senior teachers; and student teaching. All components are extremely valuable for your development as a teacher.
A Typical Training Session Includes
- A dedicated yoga practice that includes asana, pranayama and meditation
- Lecture and group discussion on yoga philosophy, the application of yoga techniques, sequencing and energetics
- Experiential work with alignment and manual adjustments
- Practice teaching to your peers to develop your teaching style and improve your communication skills
Additional Certification Requirements
- Complete 42 hours of either combination:
- 18 contact hours of Teacher Training with Tias Little and 24 contact hours of elective master yoga teacher workshops
- 24 contact hours of Teacher Training with Tias Little and 18 contact hours of elective master yoga teacher workshops
- Complete 15 hours of Fundamentals of Yoga Anatomy Training with Marinda Stopforth, plus 7 hours of non-contact anatomy workbook.*
- Attend 12 hours of Sanskrit and Yoga Philosophy with Nicolai Bachman*
- Observe and assist senior teachers: 15 hours
- Complete all homework assignments (approximately 3-5 hours per week)
- Teach 2 community classes
- Select 4 books from the book list for certification. For each book, read and write a 2 page review highlighting key ideas that most and least resonated with you.
- Teach 2 private yoga lessons and write an overview
- Community Service/Karma yoga: Teach yoga to a needy group at no charge
- Proof of CPR certification
- Complete a 20 hour self-study project in a specialty area of yoga that interests you. Present your exploration as a document, video, class or other medium appropriate for your topic
- Demonstrate the ability to teach an inspiring Level 1-2 yoga class clearly, safely and appropriately.
* Fees for required and elective workshops are not included in tuition.
Trainees are expected to have a dedicated and consistent yoga practice a minimum of 3 days per week.
The training is designed for those who want to become yoga teachers as well as for those who want to deepen their own personal practice and immerse themselves in the study of all aspects of yoga. One year of consistent yoga practice is required to enroll. Your commitment to learning and dedication to your own personal transformation is key to enjoying the benefits of the training.
Yoga Teacher Training Manual
The extensive yoga teacher training manual is included in your tuition.
Required for Coursework (purchase on your own):
Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar
Yoga for Wellness by Gary Kraftsow
The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Translated by Swami Satchidananda
Scientific Keys 1: Key Muscles of Yoga by Ray Long
Required Reading for Certification:
Choose 4 out of the 6 books listed below to read on your own. Write and submit a 1-2 page book review for each.
Peace is Every Step by Thich Nhat Hanh
Bringing Yoga to Life by Donna Farhi
The Tree of Yoga by BKS Iyengar
Living Your Yoga: Finding the Spiritual in Everyday Life by Judith Lasater
Fire of Love: For Students of Life and Teachers of Yoga by Aadil Palkhivala
Health, Healing and Beyond by T.K.V. Desikachar
Lori Gaspar, 500 E-RYT, Director
Tricia Fiske, 500 E-RYT, Primary Faculty
April Storms, 500 E-RYT, Primary Faculty
Marinda Stopforth, 500 RYT, Anatomy Teacher
Reeny Linstrom, 500 RYT, Assistant Teacher
Linda Troutman, 500 RYT, Assistant Teacher
Alison Larkin, 500 CYT, R.N., Ayurvedic Practitioner and Educator
Tias Little, Master Yoga Teacher
Nicolai Bachman, 500 E-RYT, Sanskrit and Yoga Philosophy Scholar
$2975 Early Price if paid in full 4 weeks prior to first day of class.
$3300 Regular Price if paid in full 2 weeks before first day of class.
$3500 Late Price if paid in full 1-13 days before the first day of class.
Michigan Trainees: Your tuition is higher due to State of Michigan licensing fees.
Payment plan available for additional service fee of $150.
4% transaction fee added for credit cards payments.
See Tuition Agreement webpage for more details.
Tuition does not include yoga anatomy and elective workshops, books or props.
$150 non-refundable deposit holds your spot in the training. This deposit counts toward your tuition fee. The deposit is refunded only for those not accepted into the program or if the training is cancelled. See Tuition Agreement webpage for more details.
For more information, please call or email us. To register, email responses to application questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Deposits and payments may be mailed to our address or pay by credit card online.
Please respond to the following questions by email to: email@example.com. (Include original question in response).
- Name, Address
- Phone: Home, Cell, Work
- Email address:
- Emergency Contact
- Date of Birth
- How long have you been practicing yoga? Please describe your personal yoga practice.
- What yoga style or method have you practiced? Do you prefer a certain style?
- Do you have a job? If so, please describe.
- Are you teaching yoga now? Where? Approximately how many hours per week?
- Why are you interested in this training? What do you hope to gain from this experience?
- Have you studied yoga before? Where and with whom?
- Please describe your health history.
- Please describe your emotional and mental health.
- How is your health now? Do you have any recent injuries? Please describe.
- Are you currently taking any medications? Please describe.
- List activities, hobbies, interests.
- List anything else you would like us to know about you.
- Location of Program you are applying to:
Upon acceptance into the training program, you are required to read and sign the Trainee Agreement provided.